DAY 11: SATURDAY 8th November 2014
Day 11 was a successful sailing day. Not only did we manage to catch a few decent winks hove-to the night before, a ESE breeze of around 15/20knots allowed us to sail on a course of 210deg making use of a 2-3 knot current helping us along. The seas were less choppy, therefore more enjoyable, so we sailed almost 150nm for the day. At times our SOG was around 9 or 10 knots giving us a well deserved boost in the right direction.
By afternoon we’d managed to skirt around the flat landscape of Mozambique and begin a westerly course to an anchorage at Inhaca, just outside the capital of Maputo. The vessel ‘Andrea Helena’, who we met at Moramba, sailed close by at this point. The skipper, who was also on his way to shelter at Inhaca, reconfirmed to us the southerly which would blow through on Sunday night/Monday morning. When a local says “stay out of the current” we listen. Kantala is well ahead of us after pushing through the night before. Coruisk is a day or so behind us.
DAY 12: SUNDAY 9th November 2014
Once we’d rounded the corner our course to Inhaca was 250degrees. But with 160nm to reach there, there’s no way we could’ve arrived before evening. The current is not strong but the north-easterly winds have us surfing along nicely. After an evening and morning of 15/25knots from behind us, the wind died at lunchtime. In the calm conditions we made water and charged the batteries up, as the engine hadn’t been used much. A new audiobook played through the speakers.
No further luck hearing Peri Peri for an updated weather report at 0700, although we managed to hear a forecast on SAMNET. Northerlies will turn southerly by midnight tonight, then by midday Monday forecast is for 20/30knots from the south as a low passes beneath us. After our recent taste of wind against tide on this coastline, we are definitely not wanting to be out there when it hits. There’s a good chance winds will be much higher than 30knots – possibly 40knots – and the opposing current will force waves to stand up. Kantala continued on their way to Richards Bay and fingers crossed they make it before the blow. Coruisk have rounded Mozambique and will deal with what comes their way.
The anchorage at Inhaca is quite exposed to the east, and is rolly with strong current, so we hove to some distance offshore until the southerly wind appeared at around 2230. Quickly rising to 28knots, the southerly helped us reach the anchorage in the wee hours of day 13. Once anchored and settled in, I was asleep before my messy head hit my pillow. Waking to the sound of a digital rooster crow alerted me to check the Peri Peri forecast at 0700, but once again I couldn’t hear it. We spent the morning of day 13 tidying up and relaxing. With my one remaining carrot, one onion, one spud, and some other legumes and spices, I cooked up the next batch of veggie soup to carry us through.
Richards Bay is 175nm to our south and we need favourable winds to reach there. Southerlies will ease to sou’east on Tuesday and shift to nor’east Tuesday afternoon. We plan to leave Tuesday for Richards Bay. Let’s hope we can get there soon!
Current position: 25*57.100S 32*55.300E
Crew condition: All good. Using all our sailing skills on this trip! Miles to Richards Bay: 175nm, one more overnighter!
ETA: 12/13 November